Thank you for your interest in having your treatment with the Dr Tatiana Aesthetic Clinic. We feel it is important that our clients have a good understanding of their treatment, what it involves and what the potential risks are, before going ahead. So we would like to welcome you for a complimentary consultation prior to deciding on your treatment. All new patients are encouraged to come for an initial consultation with Dr Tatiana prior to booking their first treatment.
About Hyaluronic Acid Dermal Filler:
Hyaluronic Acid (HA) is a naturally-occurring component of our skin. HA forms the space surrounding each of our cells and draws water into itself, hence increasing skin hydration, firmness and elasticity as well as protecting the skin from free-radical damage.
HA Dermal Fillers are made from long chains of HA, cross-linked to form a clear, colourless gel. Differences in the manufacture process lead to differences in filler properties such as elasticity, viscosity, strength etc. Your practitioner will help you choose a Dermal Filler product that will be suitable for the area of concern.
HA Dermal Fillers are widely believed to be the safest type of Dermal Filler because they are fully reversible. HA Dermal Fillers can be dissolved within minutes by injecting a hyaluronidase enzyme. There are Dermal Fillers made from other materials such as animal-derived collagen, Poly-L-Lactic Acid, Calcium Hydroxylapatite etc. However, there are certain risks associated with these materials and one significant disadvantage: that they cannot be dissolved or reversed.
Our aim: To improve aspects of your physical appearance so that you may have better confidence, self-esteem and hence a better quality of life.
The best results from Hyaluronic Acid are usually achieved when the skin is well prepared for the treatment.
It is important to ensure that the skin has not been excessively damaged or inflamed in the time leading up to the treatment. We ask you to ensure that you have:
- NOT tanned (holiday or sun bed) in the last week
- You are NOT pregnant, breastfeeding or currently trying for a pregnancy
- You do NOT have active acne or infection in the area to be treated
Dermal Fillers are injected into the skin. As with any injection, there is likely to some redness, bruising and swelling of the skin that is completely normal. This may take approximately 1-2 weeks to fully resolve.
Dermal filler injections are considered to be safe when done by an experienced professional. There is, however, a small chance of complications with any treatment and therefore there are certain risks that you must be aware of:
- Possibility of lumps or bubbles forming
- Discolouration of the skin e.g. Tyndall effect
- Risk of allergy
- Risk of infection
- Risk of triggering cold sores, shingles or other pre-existing skin problems
- Risk of blood flow disruption
Your practitioner will discuss these risks with you in detail. Please use the consultation as an opportunity to ask about these risks and the steps that we take to minimise the chances of any complications.
There are circumstances when Dermal Filler treatment would not be safe. It is important that you tell us about all your current and previous health problems as this may impact the safety of your treatment.
Reasons why we may not proceed with treatment include:
- prior allergic reaction to dermal filler or lidocaine anaesthetic
- current infection or inflammation in the area to be treated
- pregnancy, breastfeeding or currently trying for a pregnancy
Also, other potential reasons may include:
- Autoimmune diseases e.g. SLE, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Scleroderma, Dermatomyositis, Polymyositis.
- Immunosuppression e.g. steroid therapy, immunotherapy, cancer therapy
- Avoiding direct sun exposure for 2 weeks or wear high-factor sunblock on the treated area and re-apply during the day. The skin is healing and UV light causes inflammation and damage to cellular structures. We want to minimize sun exposure so that your skin heals quickly and effectively.
- Avoiding makeup for 48 hours
If you feel any of these instructions may be a problem for you, please inform the doctor before the treatment.
We are here to make your treatment easy, comfortable and safe. If there’s anything we can do to make sure you have an exceptional experience with us, please do let us know.
Dr Tatiana and the Team